- Born: Bef 23 Jan 1803
- Baptised: 23 Jan 1803, St. Swithun's Church, Church Lane/St. Swithun's Close, East Grinstead, West Sussex, RH19 3BB, GB 1
- Marriage (1): William Turner about 1825
- Died: 1 Jun 1846, Sedlescomb [now Sedlescombe], Battle, East Sussex, TN33, GB 2
- Buried: 7 Jun 1846, St. John the Baptist's Church, Church Hill, Sedlescombe, Battle, East Sussex, TN33 0QP, GB 1
Cause of her death was Carcinoma of the [???trum]. 21 months..2
1. Baptism records
Sarah's maiden name was Huggett according to Tom Turner's birth certificate.
Sarah was aged 38 according to the 1841 Census and 41 according to the death registration which implies that she was born between 7 Jun 1802 and 1 Jun 1805.
The following Sarah Huggetts were all baptised in East Grinstead (no others in Sussex) between 1799 and 1807:
- Sarah 1: 18 Sep 1799 to parents Benjamin and Elizabeth; unlikely given the birth range stated above
- Sarah 2: 15 Jun 1800 to parents John and Mary; unlikely given the birth range stated above
- Sarah 3: 23 Jan 1803 to parents William and Sarah; the most likely.
2. Marriage records
There were three marriages between 1820 and 1825:
- 12 Mar 1820 in West Hoathly to Daniel Rogers; possibly Sarah 1, unlikely to be Sarah 2, very unlikely to be Sarah 3
- 3 Dec 1821 in Lingfield to James Denton; possibly Sarah 1 or 2, unlikely to be Sarah 3
- 9 Jul 1822 in Brighton to William Newbiggin; possibly Sarah 1, 2 or 3 or another.
There is no marriage record for William Turner and Sarah Huggett but refer to the marriage notes regarding the marriage between William Turner and Sarah Royley in 1825 in Pevensey.
3. DNA match
The DNA match between Christopher Buist and Keith Huggett (35 cM) indicates a 51% probability (https://dnapainter.com/tools/sharedcmv4/35) that they are 6C, 6C1R, 5C, 6C2R, 4C1R, 5C1R, 7C, Half 3C2R, 4C2R, 5C2R, 7C1R, 3C3R, 4C3R, 5C3R, 8C or more distant.
Keith Huggett is descended from Thomas (b. ~1773, d. 1842) who lived in Chiddingly parish. [Need to investigate Thomas 2 baptism to John and Mary].
the brother of William (father of Sarah 3) which would make him and Christopher Buist sixth cousins (6C) and further supports that Sarah 3 is the correct person.
Noted events in her life were:
• Residence, 6 Jun 1841, Sedlescomb Street, Sedlescomb [now Sedlescombe], Battle, East Sussex, TN33, GB. 3
Sarah married William Turner, son of William Turner and Sarah Blackman, about 1825. (William Turner was born before 18 Feb 1795 in Sedlescomb [now Sedlescombe], Battle, East Sussex, TN33, GB 4, baptised on 18 Feb 1795 in St. John the Baptist's Church, Church Hill, Sedlescombe, Battle, East Sussex, TN33 0QP, GB,1 died on 3 Apr 1866 in Sedlescomb [now Sedlescombe], Battle, East Sussex, TN33, GB 2 and was buried on 7 Apr 1866 in St. John the Baptist's Church, Church Hill, Sedlescombe, Battle, East Sussex, TN33 0QP, GB 1.). The cause of his death was Heart disease./Bronchitis..2
Marriage on 21 Mar 1825 in Pevensey between William Turner and Sarah Royley.
No subsequent baptisms for parents William and Sarah in the Pevensey area between 1825 and 1850.
No baptisms of a Sarah Royley/Ryley/Riley in East Sussex between 1790 and 1810.
- Royley is a transcription error; need to see the source to verify or rule out
- Sarah gave a false name because she was pregnant with her first child (born in July)
- Sarah had a first marriage to a Mr. Royley (or Ryley or Riley or Rowley); unable to find marriage record on SFHG marriages CD or Ancestry website. [NB burial of Eliza Rowley, infant, in East Grinstead on 15 Feb 1824; unable to find matching baptism record giving parents' names.]