And the rest is history

His business partners died soon afterwards, Joseph Leves, aged 64, in 1883 and James Kayess in 1884, aged 61.

Between James’s death and 1891 his wife Elizabeth moved to 64 Defoe Road (now part of Garratt Lane) in Tooting. Her son-in-law, Charles Clarke, had died in 1886, aged 45, so her daughter, Sarah, moved in with her. Elizabeth died on 7th May 1897, aged 86, of “heart failure, pulmonary congestion and senile decay”. Like James, she was buried at Merton church on 15th May.

Their eldest son Charles James Wagland and his wife Susan also lived in Defoe Road (number 16) in 1891 but had moved to Streatham by the time of his mother’s death. Their eight children who survived to adulthood were married between 1884 and 1904 but Ellen (married to Benjamin Allen), Emma (married to Thomas Horne) and Walter (married Edith Austin) predeceased them in 1901, 1902 and 1904 respectively. By 1911, Charles and Susan had moved to Southfields where he died in 1913, aged 81, of “cerebral haemorrhage, hemiplegia (2 years), coma (3 days) and cardiac failure” and she died in 1917, aged 80, of “cerebral haemorrhage (14 days) and cardiac failure”. We don’t know where either of them were buried.

William Haslam, the widower of Emma Elizabeth (James’s second child) who had died in 1870 in Tenby, moved to Sandhurst in Kent. He remarried Mary Ann Butler in 1878 and together they had one son. They later moved to Sutton Valence, Kent, and then to Forest Gate, West Ham. Of his three children with Emma, their eldest daughter Ada died in 1897, aged 33; their son Edwin died in 1872, aged 5; and Helen never married.

By 1898 George Marrion Wagland (James’s third child) and his wife Annie had moved to Crayford, south-east of London, and then to the neighbouring town of Dartford sometime between 1901 and 1911. There were well-known silk and calico printers in both towns where he probably worked (see page 21). Five of his six children were married between 1888 and 1904; the sixth was married in 1924. George died in early 1918 just before his son, Fred, a Private in the Northumberland Fusiliers, was killed in action in France.

Mary Rebecca (James’s fourth child) and Francis Sharland lived at 24 Defoe Road from 1881 until their deaths in 1910 and 1920 respectively. Their four sons married between 1884 and 1909 but their daughter remained a spinster.

James Marrion Wagland (James’s fifth child) and his wife Eliza had their third child in 1882 in Camberwell where he had been managing The Sultan public house. They had moved to Whitechapel, Tower Hamlets, by 1887 when he died, aged 47, at the London Hospital (now the Royal London Hospital). Their three children married between 1906 and 1910. Eliza did not remarry and died in the West Ham area in 1926. Their eldest son, Reginald, a Gunner in the Royal Artillery Garrison, was killed in action in France in 1918.

After his father’s death, Alfred Wagland (James’s sixth child) became an insurance agent and continued to live in the East End. His wife, Margaret, died in 1886 and he then remarried Johanna Barry in 1888. His youngest daughter married in 1900; his eldest daughter married in 1901 but died in 1904; and his son died in 1909. Alfred himself died in 1919, aged 73, in West Ham.

After her mother’s death, Sarah (James’s seventh child) moved to Upper Tooting where her two children joined her. She died in 1934, aged 85. Neither of her children ever married.

In 1902 Ellen (James’s eighth child) and Henry Glover moved from Chailey Industrial School to Portslade Industrial School where they took up the same responsibilities of Matron and Superintendent (headmaster) respectively. One of their daughters worked with them as Assistant Matron but died in 1915. Their sons married in 1902 and 1908 but their youngest daughter remained a spinster. Ellen died ten years after her husband in 1928 aged 77 in Eastbourne.

The seven children of William Wagland, the illegitimate son of James, all married between 1873 and 1889. Three of the sons became silk printers and, like their half-uncle George Marrion Wagland, moved to Crayford/Dartford between 1881 and 1901. At least one of them lived in Summerstown in 1891 so may have worked at the Garratt Print Works. William died in 1898 in Wimbledon and his wife, Emma, in 1901.

Next section

Top of page

Buist-Taylor-Keatch-Kendall family history website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License

Contact      Site Map

How to make a website - Check it out