- Born: 1 Dec 1762, Barcombe, Lewes, East Sussex, BN8, GB
- Baptised: 5 Dec 1762, St. Mary's Church, Church Road, Barcombe, Lewes, East Sussex, BN8 5TS, GB 1
- Died: Bef 2 Oct 1838, Chiltington, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7, GB
- Buried: 2 Oct 1838, St. Mary's Church, Church Road, Barcombe, Lewes, East Sussex, BN8 5TS, GB 1
He was an enterprising manufacturer, founded a cotton manufactory in Lewes and another at Hempstead Mill, Buxted, where the business of cotton-wick spinning was carried on for many years. He died in 1838, aged 77, possessed of much landed property.
Noted events in his life were:
• Occupation: Linen draper, 21 Jul 1789.
• Will, 16 Jan 1837. This is the last Will and Testament of me Edward Egles of West Chiltington near Lewes in the County of Sussex Esquire First I give and bequeath unto Sarah Penfold Widow now living in my Service the Tent Bedstead and Hangings as now standing in the Back Bedroom of my present Dwelling House I give and bequeath all the rest and residue of my Household Goods Furniture Plate Linen China Books Pictures Wines and other consumable Commodities whatsoever and wheresoever of every description unto my Nephew Gabriel Egles absolutely I give devise and bequeath All and singular my Freehold and Leasehold Messuages lands Tenements and Hereditaments whatsoever and wheresoever situate of which I have at the time of my decease may have power to dispose of this by my Will with their rights members and appurtenances unto and to the use of my said Nephew Gabriel Egles and my Nephew in Law Joseph Richardson of Crowborough in the said County of Sussex Miller their heirs executors and Administrators and assigns according to the nature and quality of the same premises respectively upon Trust that they the said Gabriel Egles and Joseph Richardson of the survivor of them or the Heirs Executors Administrators or assigns of such Survivor do and shall as soon as conveniently may be after my decease sell and dispose of the said Freehold and Leasehold messuages lands tenements heriditaments and premises either altogether or separately and in parcels and either by Public Auction or by private Contract to any person or persons who shall be willing to become the purchaser or purchasers thereof respectively for the most money and best price that can be reasonably obtained for the same And I do hereby declare my Will and mind to be that all and singular my Copyhold or Customary messuages lands tenements and hereditaments shall be sold as soon as conveniently may be after my decease either by Public Auction or private Contract and either together or separately to any person or persons who shall be willing to become the purchaser or purchasers thereof for the most money that can be reasonably obtained for the same And in order to facilitate such sale I do hereby give and devise all and singular my Copyhold or Customary messuages lands Tenements and hereditaments whatsoever and wheresoever unto and to the use of such person or persons and for such Estate and Estates as in order to effect such sale the said Gabriel Egles and Joseph Richardson or the survivor of them his heirs or assigns shall by any deed direct or appoint And in default of such direction or appointment To the use of the said Gabriel Egles and Joseph Richardson their heirs or assigns In Trust to carry such sale into effect And I do hereby declare that until the Freehold Copyhold and Leasehold Hereditaments and premises hereby given and devised in Trust and directed to be sold as aforesaid shall be actually sold it shall be lawful for the said Gabriel Egles and Joseph Richardson and the survivor of them his heirs executors administrators and assigns to use or occupy or to devise or lease the same freehold Copyhold and Leasehold Hereditaments and Premises for such number years (not exceeding twenty one) upon such terms and in such number as they or he shall think reasonable and for the general benefit and advantage of the persons entitled thereto and interested therein respectively under the Trusts of this my Will And I do hereby further declare my will and mind to be that the said Gabriel Egles and Joseph Richardson and the survivor of them his heirs executors Administrators and assigns shall stand and be possessed of all and singular the moneys to arise and be produced from the sale of such several Freehold Copyhold and Leasehold Hereditaments and premises hereby vested in them in Trust to sell as aforesaid and of and in the rents issues profits and annual produce of the same premises respectively in the meantime and until the same shall be sold upon and for such Trusts interests and purposes and with and subject to such powers provisos and declarations as are hereinafter expressed and declared of and concerning the residue of my Personal Estate and Effects hereinafter given and bequeathed And which said Personal Estate I do hereby give as follows that is to say I do hereby give and bequeath all my moneys securities for money live and dead stock and all and singular the Rest and Residue of my Personal Estate and Effects whatsoever and wheresoever not hereinbefore bequeathed unto the said Gabriel Egles and Jospeh Richardson their executors administrators and assigns upon trust that they or the survivor of them his heirs adm[inistrat]ors or assigns do and shall convert into money And out of the money arising from such sale of my Freehold Copyhold and Leasehold Estates Estate as shall consist of money do and shall pay and discharge all my just debts funeral and Testamentary expenses and all legacies which I shall give by any Codicil to this my Will and also do and shall thereout convert upon Government Security such sum of money as will realize the annual sum of thirty pounds and shall pay said annual sum of thirty pounds as and when the same shall become due and payable unto the said Sarah Penfold and her assigns for her life such Annuity to commence and be payable from the day of my death and the said Penfold I give and bequeath the principal sum stock funds and securities in or upon which the said annual sum of thirty pounds as shall be secured unto and equally between the said Gabriel Egles and Joseph Richardson their executors administrators and assigns as a compensation for the trouble they may have in the execution of this my will And upon further trust that they the said Gabriel Egles and Joseph Richardson or the survivor of them his heirs executors administrators and assigns do and shall stand and be possessed of the residue of the moneys to be produced from the sale of my said Freehold Copyhold and Leasehold Hereditaments and premises and the rents and profits thereof till sold and such conversion of my personal Estate and such part of my Personal Estate as shall consist of money upon Trust to pay and devise one sixth part thereof unto and amongst the Children or issue of my late brother George Egles in manner following that is to say one third part thereof to _________ Pritchard the wife of ____________ Pritchard one other third part of such sixth to Hawkes the wife of Captain Hawkes and the other third part thereof unto the children of my late Nephew George Egles And upon further Trust to pay one other sixth part thereof unto the said Gabriel Egles and upon further trust to pay and divide one other sixth part thereof unto and amongst the four children of my late Sister Sophia the Wife of Benjamin Vandergutch deceased viz Benjamin Vandergutch Sophia the wife of Wilcox Elizabeth Manning Vandergutch and Sarah Vandergutch share and share alike And upon trust to pay and divide one other sixth part thereof unto and amongst the two daughters of my late Niece Hicks the wife of Thomas Hicks which said Sister was the daughter of my late brother John Egles share and share alike And upon further Trust to pay and divide one other sixth part thereof unto and amongst the Children of my late Sister the wife of Fuller decease viz _________ Rogers the widow of the late Thomas Rogers of Kingston in the said County Gentleman and Thomas Fuller share and share alike and upon further Trust to pay and divide the other and remaining sixth part thereof unto and amongst the Children of my late Brother Plumer Egles viz John Egles [Elizabeth] Richardson the wife of the said Joseph Richardson [Fanny] Foster the wife of [John] Foster [Sophia] Burtenshaw Cox the wife of [John Burtenshaw] Cox [Barbara] Bloomfield the wife of [John] Bloomfield and Rebecca Egles And I hereby declare that the share or shares of such before mentioned children who are interested under this my will as shall be a son or sons shall be vested in him or them respectively on his or their attaining their age or respective ages of Twenty one years and the share or shares of such of them as shall be a daughter or daughters to become vested in her or them respectively on her or their attaining her or their respective ages of twenty one years or on the day or respective days of her or their marriage whichever shall first happen and to be paid or transferred at such age or ages time or times as aforesaid provided always that if any of the beforementioned children who die interested under this my Will being a son or Sons shall depart this life under the age of Twenty one years without leaving lawful issue or being a daughter or daughters shall depart this life under that age and unmarried I do hereby direct that the part or share or parts or shares of him her or them so dying shall go and accrue to the surviving Brothers and Sisters of such Children equally to be divided between them if more than one share and share alike And if but one then to such only surviving brother or Sister And be vested or payable to him her or them at such ages and times respectively and shall go in such manner as his her or their original share or shares hereinbefore directed to be vested paid and payable and in case of the death of any other of the said children before such accruing or surviving share or shares shall become vested as aforesaid then every such accruing or surviving part or share shall again be subject and liable to such right chance or condition of accruing to and amongst the surviving brothers and sisters of the said children as hereinbefore is provided touching the said original portion or portions but if it shall happen that any one or more of the said children shall die in my lifetime or being a son or sons shall be under the age of twenty one years having lawful issue Then and in such case the issue of him her or them so dying shall have and be paid all and whatsoever the parent or parents so dying would have had and received if living under and by virtue of this my Will Provided also and I hereby declare that it shall be lawfull for my said Trustees and the survivor of them his executors and administrators apply and pay dividends and interest of the share or shares of such of the said Children as shall not have acquired a vested interest in the portion or portions hereinbefore provided or interested for him her or them respectively for or towards his her or their maintenance and education respectively until the same shall respectively become payable and that all surplus interest which shall not be applied for that purpose shall be invested and be allowed to accumulate in the nature of compound interest for the benefit of the Child or Issue from whose portion the same shall be saved And also that it shall be lawful for my said Trustees and the survivor of them his executors and Administrators to advance any part not exceeding one half part of the share or shares or presumptive share or shares of any of the said children or their issue of and in the said Trust moneys or premises for the putting and placing him her or them in or to any Trade or Business or Profession or otherwise for his her or their advancement or preferrment in the World notwithstanding the part or share or presumptive part or share of him her or them shall not have become payable but the sum so advanced shall be taken as part of the portion for whose benefit the same is raised and be accounted for accordingly. And I do hereby direct my said Trustees and the Survivor of them his Executors and Administrators to invest all such sum and sums of money as shall come to their or his hands by virtue of the Trusts hereby in them or him reposed until such time or times as the same shall become divisable and payable upon Government or real security and to call in vary transfer and alter the same at any time or times as to them or him shall seem expedient and proper and I devise all Estates which may now be vested in me by way of mortgage or upon any trust whatsoever unto the said Gabriel Egles and Joseph Richardson their heirs executors administrators and assigns respectively But subject to and upon the Equities and Trusts affecting the same And I do hereby declare that the receipt or receipts of my said Trustees or the survivor of them his heirs executors or administrators shall be a good discharge or discharges for all things which in such receipt or receipts shall be expected to be received And that all persons paying any moneys to them or him for the purposes of this my Will and taking a receipt from them or him accordingly shall not be obliged to see to the further application of the same monies nor to be accountable for the misapplication or nonapplication thereof And I declare that neither of my said Trustees shall be answerable for the other of them nor for involuntary losses nor for money received under receipts in which they shall join only for the sake of conformity And that they and he may reimburse themselves and himself out of the said Trust moneys and Premises or out of any of the moneys that may come into their or his hands by virtue of this my Will all costs charges and expenses to be incurred by them or him in the execution of this my Will or in anywise relating thereto. And lastly I hereby nominate constitute and appoint the said Gabriel Egles and Joseph Richardson Trustees and Executors of this my Will hereby revoking all former Wills by me at any time heretofore made In Witness whereof I the said Edward Egles the Testator have set my hand to each of the previous five sheets of paper and my hand and seal to this sixth and last sheet thereof this sixteenth day of January one thousand eight hundred and thirty seven Edward Egles LS Signed sealed published and declared by the said Edward Egles the Testator as and for his last Will and Testament in the presence of us who in his presence at this request and in the presence of each other have subscribed our names as Witnesses thereto John Blaker Junr Solicitor Lewes Alfred Middleton Surgeon Lewes Thomas Avery Farmer Chiltington
Proved at London 18th March 1839 before the Worshipful William Robinson Doctor of Laws and Surrogate by the Oath of Gabriel Egles the nephew and Joseph Richardson the Executors to whom admon was granted having been first sworn duly to administer.
Transcribed by Helen Hartley, December 2005
• Probate, 18 Mar 1839, London, GB. Proved at London 18th March 1839 before the Worshipful William Robinson Doctor of Laws and Surrogate by the Oath of Gabriel Egles the nephew and Joseph Richardson the Executors to whom admon was granted having been first sworn duly to administer.
Transcribed by Helen Hartley, December 2005