Sir Roger Lewknor
- Marriage (1): Eleanor de Camoys before 1426 1
- Died: Abt 1478
Noted events in his life were:
• Manorial Estate, 1426, Bevendean Manor, Falmer, Brighton, East Sussex, BN1, GB. 2 Another estate in BEVENDEAN was held with land in Barcombe of the barony of Lewes and in 1439 formed 1 knight's fee. The overlordship descended with that of Barcombe (q.v.) to the Dukes of Norfolk after 1439 but its later history is uncertain, although it was still owing suit at Lewes in the early 17th century.
Bevendean was sold by Master William de Pierpoint in about 1242 to John de Gatesden. After John's death in 1262 his widow Hawise had the manor of Bevendean as part of her dower until in 1264 it was seized by the overlord, Earl Warenne, on the pretext that she had joined the rebels against the king. The land was restored to Hawise and descended with the manor of Camoys Court in Barcombe (q.v.), being divided in 1426 between the two sisters of Hugh de Camoys, Margaret wife of Ralph Radmylde and Eleanor wife of Roger Lewknor. William grandson of Ralph Radmylde appears to have been holding his portion in 1493-4. He died in 1499, without issue. Sometime before 1503 this land passed to John Covert of Slaugham and Hangleton who died seised of a manor of Bevendean in that year. It descended in the family of Covert with Benfield in Hangleton (q.v.) and Twineham-Benfield (q.v.) and in 1639, as 'the farm called Bevingdeane', was settled by Thomas Covert on his wife Diana, daughter of George, 1st Lord Goring. In 1664 Diana Baynham, their daughter, was holding it. This estate, apparently, by the early part of the 17th century included also the Lewknor portion and was described as half the manor of Bevendean, the other half being the property of Edward Culpeper.
The part of the manor held by Roger Lewknor and Eleanor was conveyed in 1538 by their grandson Roger Lewknor and Elizabeth [sic] his wife to Sir John Harcourt and Giles Foster, probably for a settlement. In 1559 William Morgan and Katherine his wife, a daughter of Roger Lewknor, conveyed the estate which was part of Katherine's inheritance to Thomas Walsingham after the expiry of the life interest which Anthony Stapley, husband of Mabel Lewknor, held. By the beginning of the 17th century this part of the manor had passed into the possession of Sir Walter Covert, owner of the Radmylde moiety.
• Manorial Estate, 1426, Camoys Court Manor, Barcombe, Lewes, East Sussex, BN8, GB. 3 The manor of CAMOYS COURT alias BARKHAM CAMOYS, lying partly in Barcombe, but also in Ditchling and Newick, was probably represented about 1198 by land held by Maud de Bercamp. The overlordship descended with the rape. In the division of the barony in 1439 the 1½ knight's fees formerly held by John de Gadesden, in which this land was included, were divided. Half a fee in Ditchling was assigned to Elizabeth, Lady Bergavenny; one fee in Bevendean and Barcombe went to the Duke of Norfolk. In 1543, however, Camoys Court was held of the joint owners of the barony, and it still owed suit at the court of Lewes down to 1835 at least.
From Maud de Bercamp the holding passed to her son Ralph de Pierpoint; but William de Pierpoint, who held demesne in Barcombe in 1235, had sold his land there by 1242 to John de Gadesden or Gatesden who was then holding 3 knights' fees in 'Bercompe'. John married Hawise Savage, widow of John de Nevill, in about 1246 and died in 1262. Hawise died about 1269. The marriage of John's grand-daughter and heiress Margaret was granted to Robert Waleraund. In or about 1279 Margaret married Sir John de Camoys but deserted him for William Paynel, whom she married after Sir John's death in 1298. Margaret died about January 1311 and her son Ralph de Camoys was holding land in the vill of Barcombe in 1316. On his death in 1336 his lands passed to his son Thomas, who died without issue in 1372 holding the reversion of the manor, after the death of William de Mallynge, jointly with his wife Margaret. She was still holding them in 1386. Sir Thomas de Camoys, his nephew, succeeded him. In 1412 his lands in Barcombe were worth £5 a year and in 1428 were assessed as ¼ knight's fee. He died in 1421, and was succeeded by his grandson Hugh, then aged seven, on whose death in 1426 the Camoys property descended to his sisters, Margaret, wife of Ralph Radmylde, and Eleanor, wife of Roger Lewknor of Trotton. Ralph Radmylde survived Margaret and died in 1443, when her half of the manor passed to their son Robert, then aged 18. Robert was succeeded in 1457 by a son William, a child of 6, but this part of the manor appears soon to have passed to Roger Lewknor, in whose family the whole manor descended. At this date the manor was still known as Barcombe, but later it acquired the name Camoys Court.
• Manorial Estate, 1452-1478, Stoke Doyle Manor, Stoke Doyle, Peterborough, Northamptonshire, PE8, GB. 4 The manor of STOKE DOYLE may be identified with one of the Domesday holdings of the Abbey of Peterborough, which contained 2 hides and a virgate of land, but was then appurtenant to Oundle manor. By 1125, the land had been subinfeudated, but the overlordship was held by the Abbey, until its dissolution. Afterwards the manor was held of the Crown as of the Hundred of Navisford (q.v.), and when the latter was granted by James I to Lord Montagu, he also obtained the overlordship of Stoke Doyle.
About 1125, Wymund de Stoke was the tenant of this land, which he held as one knights' fee, but claimed to hold 1½ hides in socage. In the 12th century survey of Northamptonshire, Stoke does not appear, but as Wadenhoe, Pilton and Stoke formed one township, it is possible that the entries under Wadenhoe include holdings in the other two parishes. Wymund appears as holding one virgate of land, which may have been the virgate which the lords of Stoke Doyle afterwards held of the manor of Pilton, but if so his main holding is omitted. He was probably succeeded by another Wymund before 1146. In 1189, the fee was held by Guy de Stoke, and in 1199 Robert de Stoke agreed to perform the military service due from half a knight's fee and to pay a rent of 8s. a year for the other half. He was living in 1227, but was succeeded by Edmund or Simon de Stoke shortly afterwards. In 1242\endash 3 John de Stoke was the tenant, but he had died before 1246\endash 7, and in 1254 the half fee was held by the heir of Robert de Stoke. In 1275 John de Stoke was lord of the manor, but he apparently died before 1280.
The manor then passed to Alice, the wife of John Doyley, who obtained in 1313, from Robert son of John de Stoke, a quitclaim of his right in the manor. In the same year they settled it, with remainders to their son Thomas and the right heirs of Alice. Thomas did homage to the abbot in 1322. A John Doyley, possibly son of Thomas, held the manor in 1341 and in 1353 he made a settlement on his son Thomas by his second wife Margery. This Thomas seems to have died young, and the manor went to Henry Doyley, probably his great-uncle, son of John Doyley and his wife Alice. On his death after 1367 the manor went to John, son of Robert Knightley (d. c. 1326) and Alice his wife (d. 1349), who was sister of Henry Doyley. John Knightley presented to the church in 1369 and 1390. A settlement of Stoke Doyle was made in 1370 on Joan, said to be daughter and heir of Sir John Doyley, and Thomas, son of Roger Lewkenor of Sussex, her husband, and in 1391 a further settlement of the manor was made on Joan and her second husband, John Cobham, with a life interest to John Knightley. Roger Lewkenor apparently granted it to trustees, one of whom, Nicholas Nymmes, did homage in 1401, and the trustees still held it in 1412. By 1428 the manor had reverted to Thomas Lewkenor, Joan's grandson, whose son Roger presented to the church in 1453 and died in 1478, leaving a son and heir Thomas, who forfeited his lands, probably as a Yorkist. Stoke Doyle was granted to William Sapcote in 1484, but Lewkenor was probably reinstated in possession, as his son Roger presented to the church in 1491. He left four daughters, and his heirs apparently sold the manor to Sir George Puttenham, who in 1526 levied a fine of it against Roger Corbet.
• Manorial Estate, 1470-1478, Iford Manor, Iford, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7, GB. 5 The original manor of Iford which Queen Edith, the wife of Edward the Confessor, held before the Conquest, was a large one covering an area of 77½ hides. After the Conquest, part of this, lying in the rape of the Count of Mortain, was cut off. Of the rest, William de Warenne held a large part in demesne; 6½ hides were held by the monks of St. Pancras, Lewes; 2 hides by Hugh son of Golda; and 1½ hides by Tosard, who later gave them to Lewes Priory on becoming a monk there.
The earl's demesne land formed the vill of Iford and descended with the rape as the manor of Northease cum Iford (q.v.).
The 2 hides held by Hugh son of Golda formed the manor of IFORD, and the overlordship of this manor and of the rest of the 7 knights' fees held by his successors, the Plaiz family, descended with the rape, falling in 1439 to Lady Bergavenny. Her descendants were still overlords in 1543.
By 1396 the manor of Iford was in the hands of Sir John Dalyngrigge, of Bodiam, who died without issue in 1417, having settled it on his cousins, the sons of Walter Dalyngrigge. Sir John's widow, Alice, held the manor in dower until her death in 1443, when it passed to Richard Dalyngrigge, her husband's cousin, who died seised of it in 1470. His heir was Roger Lewknor, son of his sister Philippa, and from him it descended in the Lewknor family, being held by Sir Roger Lewknor in 1538 and at his death in 1543. Iford was then, apparently, held in third shares by his daughters by his third wife, namely, Katherine Mill, Mabel Stapley, and Constance Foster, afterwards Glemham.
Roger married Eleanor de Camoys, daughter of Sir Richard de Camoys and Joan de Poynings, before 1426.1 (Eleanor de Camoys was born about 1408 and died before 1485.)