John de la Stane of Fisherton de la Mere, Wiltshire
- Born: Abt 1225
- Marriage (1): Unknown
- Died: Bef 1274
• Manorial Estate: Fisherton de la Mere Manor, [Fisherton Delamere], Warminster, Wiltshire, BA12, GB. 1 The manor of FISHERTON DE LA MERE was held before the Conquest by Bondi, a Scandinavian. After the Conquest it passed to Roger de Courcelles, a large landowner in Somerset, though in Wiltshire he held this manor only. He was succeeded here as in nearly all his other manors by the Malets, who, Round thought, obtained Roger's possessions by a fresh grant, rather than by descent. The manor descended in the Malet family until 1216 when William Malet II died leaving two daughters, one of whom, Mabel, married Hugh de Vivon, and the other, Helewise, Hugh Pointz. Pointz was dead by 1220, and his relict married Robert de Muscegros by 1221. Muscegros seems to have obtained through her the honor of Curry Mallet and a moiety of Fisherton manor, rated at ½ fee. After his death in 1253-4 this moiety passed to Nicholas Pointz, his step-son, by which time the other moiety belonged to William Forz, to whom it had passed on the death of his father, Hugh de Vivon, c. 1249. By 1274-5 Nicholas had acquired both moieties, rated as a whole fee. Thereafter the overlordship descended in the Pointz family until 1358, when it was sold with Curry Mallet by Sir Nicholas Pointz to Matthew de Gurney. It passed from the Gurneys to the Crown about the middle of the 15th century, and in 1492 belonged to Arthur, Prince of Wales, to whom the Crown had presumably assigned it. It was stated in 1346 that the service due from the manor was that of inclosing part of Curry Mallet park with a hedge. While the foregoing correctly states the formal position, there was a period in the 14th century when the Crown successfully deprived the Pointzes of their rights. In 1325 the Crown seized the wardship of the heir to one of the shares of the under-tenancy and in 1326-8 and 1351 presented to the rectory, then annexed to the manor, during similar minorities.
The overlords subinfeudated the manor at an early date, but the history of the tenure in demesne is hard to unravel. By 1193-4 Godfrey de St. Martin held an estate in Fisherton ('Fisserton Godefridi de S. Martino') which was then being administered as an escheat, perhaps because of its lord's adhesion to Count John. In 1194-5 Wandrille de Courcelles, presumably a descendant of Roger the former overlord, was trying to secure a judgment against Godfrey and one Constance, daughter of Robert de la Stane. Godfrey appears to have married Constance by 1210 and to have died by c. 1232, when Constance gave land in Fisherton to Maiden Bradley priory. By 1200 Fisherton is called a 'manor' and by 1201 Wandrille was pursuing his claim to it against Godfrey and Constance by writ of 'mort d'ancestor'. The judgment, if any, is not known, but by 1223 Ralph FitzBernard and his wife Eleanor were claiming the manor, as Eleanor's right, against John de la Stane, and in 1227 the joint overlords were claiming it against the same John by novel disseisin. The presumption is that a Courcelles overlord had died about 1194-5, that Wandrille tried to repossess himself in demesne of the manor which his ancestor had subinfeudated, but that he and his successors in the overlordship were frustrated by the terre tenants and their heirs. Whatever may be the precise explanation, John de la Stane was holding in demesne ½ knight's fee in Fisherton and Bapton in 1242-3.
Between 1249 and 1253 John de la Stane's tenement was being claimed against him by William Braunche and Joan his wife, in Joan's right. Joan's mother's name was Eleanor and she may be the same as Eleanor the wife of Ralph FitzBernard. The suit was unsuccessful, for in 1274-5 Peter de la Stane was holding Fisherton, then rated as a whole fee.
Peter de la Stane died ante 7 Feb. 1312 leaving three daughters, Elizabeth, who married Sir James de Norton, Margery, who married William Saffrey (otherwise Reed or Rude), and Christine, who married Anthony Bydik. Dower was assigned to Christine de la Stane, who died ante 1 March 1319. Elizabeth de Norton died in or before 1315-16, having borne her husband two sons, Peter, who died vivente patre, and Thomas. James de Norton died ante 27 Jan. 1330 and was succeeded in his third share by Thomas, who died, a knight, in 1346. A third of Thomas's share was given in dower to his wife, Margaret, who later married Robert de la Puylle. The remaining two-thirds were assigned to the custody of Peter de Brewes until Ralph, Thomas's son, should come of age.
William Saffrey died ante 13 May 1325, leaving a minor son Brian, whose wardship, despite the protests of Hugh Pointz as overlord, was granted by the Crown to Brian de Papworth, Rector of Great Houghton (Northants). In 1331 the wardship was transferred to Master Henry de Clif, a canon of Salisbury, who sold it in 1332 to John de Leicester. By 1345 the Bydik third had passed from Anthony and Christine to John Bydik, who appears to have granted it to a Dorset priest called John of Tilshead. In that year the third was claimed by Sir John de la Mere and Henry Russell, but the outcome is unknown.
Margaret de la Puylle was still holding dower in the Norton third in 1359. In that year Ralph de Norton settled the remainder of this share upon himself with reversion, in default of heirs, to one John de Erdington, the elder. By stages that are uncertain this third and the Saffreys' third became vested in Sir John de la Mere, of Nunney (Som.), who in 1375 settled two-thirds of the manor and advowson in trust. In 1381 Godfrey Bydik sold him the remaining third. Sir Philip de la Mere, son of John, held the whole manor in 1390. Sir Ellis de la Mere, who was probably Philip's son, was apparently seised of the manor by 1412. He died, without issue, some time between September 1414 and 14 March 1428, and was succeeded by his nephew Sir John Paulet (I), son of his sister Eleanor. He was succeeded by his son another John (II), who in 1460 settled it upon himself and his wife Eleanor. He died in 1492 and was succeeded by his son John (III), who on his death in 1525 was succeeded by his son William, Lord St. John, created Marquess of Winchester in 1551.