William Covert of Slaugham, Sussex 1
- Marriage (1): Anne Fleming 1
- Died: 20 Sep 1494 2
- BuriedMale: St. Mary's Church, Staplefield Road, Slaugham, Haywards Heath, West Sussex, RH17 6AG, GB
• Manorial Estate, 1471-1494, Ashington Manor, Pulborough, West Sussex, RH20, GB. 3 The manor of ASHINGTON in 1786 included the whole of the main part of the parish together with an adjacent detached part of Thakeham containing Mutton's farm. Before 1066 it was part of Washington manor. In 1066, when it was rated as 2½ hides, it was described as held of Earl Godwin by two allodial tenants, but by 1073 it had been granted to William de Braose. In 1086 it was held of him by Robert le Savage, and thereafter the mesne tenancy descended with Broadwater manor until the later 15th century. In 1580 Ashington was said to be held of Bramber rape, and in 1622 and later of Knepp manor in Shipley.
Ellis of Ashington (fl. c. 1140) and John of Ashington (fl. c. 1230) may have held the manor, and Sir Robert of Ashington (fl. c. 1190-1203) evidently did so, since he was the first holder of the advowson, which later descended with it. Richard Covert, recorded locally in 1233, is said to have married a daughter of Sir John of Ashington. The Covert family held the manor between that date and the later 17th century. William Covert was recorded between 1235 and 1266, and Roger, perhaps his son, from 1274. Roger was dealing with the manor in 1288, and died in 1297, when it passed to his son John. John had died by 1350, when the reversion was settled by Richard, possibly his son, on Roger Covert. Another John Covert held 2 knight's fees in Ashington and elsewhere in 1361, and may be the same as John Covert of Ashington mentioned in 1393. Baldwin Covert was lord of the manor apparently at some time in the later 14th or earlier 15th century, and in 1417 the advowson belonged to John, son and heir of Thomas Covert, then a minor. Between 1439 and 1443 John Covert held the advowson. Thomas Covert, apparently his son, presented between 1479 and 1486, and at his death c. 1495 the manor passed to his son Richard (d. 1547). Between 1503 and 1672 it descended with Twineham Benfield, and in the latter year Sir John Covert (created Bt. 1660) settled it on his daughter Ann and her husband Sir James Morton (d. by 1700), whose son John sold the demesne lands, called Court farm, c. 1704 to Timothy Burrell of Cuckfield...
• Manorial Estate, 1471-1494, Broadbridge Manor, Broadbridge Heath, Horsham, West Sussex, RH20, GB. 4 William Covert held an estate at BROADBRIDGE of Bramber rape in 1242. The overlordship descended with the rape until 1580, and the terre tenancy with Sullington manor until Margaret Covert's death in 1366 or later. In 1350 the reversion after Baldwin le Moigne's death had been settled on Roger Covert and in 1431 John Covert, perhaps Roger's great-grandson, made a settlement. Broadbridge manor then descended with Ashington until 1695, when John Morton apparently sold it to Richard Onslow of Drungewick in Wisborough Green...
• Manorial Estate, 1471-1494, Twineham Benfield Manor, Haywards Heath, West Sussex, RH17, GB. 5 The manor of TWINEHAM BENFIELD [Benefelle (xi cent.); Benetfeld (xiii cent.)] was held before the Conquest by Cola, of King Edward the Confessor, and Turgod held it of him, for two hides. In 1086 Scolland held it of William de Warenne, and it apparently did not pay geld, but its value had doubled. Another hide in Benfield, which had been held by Lewin before the Conquest, was held in 1086 by Alfred foster-father of Earl Warenne...
...A John Benfeld is mentioned in 1378, and (probably another) John in 1412 and 1434-5. He was the last of the male line and the manor passed to his daughter Joan the wife of John Chauncy, and subsequently to their daughter Margaret, who married Thomas Austyn and in 1471 released her estates in Twineham to Sir Walter Pawnefold. Sir Walter must have immediately transferred the manor to William Covert, as the latter held his first court there in the same year. Twineham Benfield then remained in the Covert family for more than two hundred years. John Covert son of William succeeded his father in 1494 but died without male issue in 1503, when the manor was placed in the hands of feoffees to the use of his first cousin and heir Richard Covert. From Richard the manor passed in 1547 to his son John, who died in 1558 or 1559 and was succeeded by his son Richard. Richard's son Sir Walter Covert, who held the manor from 1579 to Jan. 1632, died childless, and after the death of his widow Jane in 1666 Benfield passed to the sons of their niece Anne and her husband Sir Walter Covert of Maidstone. Anne's son Thomas died in 1643, leaving an only daughter, and Benfield passed to his brother Sir John Covert, who lived until 1679. Sir John's son Walter died seven years before his father, so that the property devolved upon his three surviving daughters, Walter's sisters, of whom the second, Mary, received Twineham Benfield as a marriage portion in 1676, in which year she and her husband Henry Goring held their first court there. In 1689 Mary Goring, then a widow, was presented at her own court for not keeping up the pound or providing a dinner for her tenants. She subsequently married Nicholas Best, and survived him, living until 1729. Her son Sir Harry Goring only survived her for two years, when the manor passed to his son Sir Charles Matthew Goring. Twineham Benfield remained in the Goring family until after 1870, after which it was acquired by Mr. Huth. Colonel Stephenson R. Clarke, C.B., J.P., subsequently acquired Twineham Place, which he gave to his son Mr. Edmund S. Clarke, who still holds it. All manorial rights have lapsed.
• Manorial Estate, 1475, Chaldon Manor, Caterham, Surrey, CR3, GB. 6 Land in Chaldon formed part of the alleged grant to Chertsey Abbey by Frithwald, subregulus of Surrey, and Bishop Erkenwald in 675, and was confirmed by a charter of King Edgar (967) and by one of King Edward in 1062. In 1086, however, it is stated that Dernic held the manor of CHALDON of King Edward, and at the time of the Domesday Survey it was held by Ralph Fitz Turold of Odo Bishop of Bayeux. With other lands held by Ralph Fitz Turold of the Bishop of Bayeux it is subsequently found attached to the honour of Rochester Castle.
A Sir William Covert is said by Samson Lennard, Blue Mantle Pursuivant, who died in 1633 and made a pedigree of the Covert family, to have been lord of Chaldon in the time of Henry II, but this is very doubtful. Merton Priory had lands in Chaldon by grant of William Hansard in 1201, and subsequently a John Hansard and Gundreda his wife granted the manor of Chaldon to Roger de Covert, to be held of them apparently by the service of two knights' fees. Roger de Covert granted it back to John and Gundreda for the term of their joint lives. John Hansard died in 1275, when the overlordship was acquired by his nephew James, who claimed to be his heir. In 1297'968 Roger de Covert died seised of Chaldon, held of James Hansard by service of two knights' fees and rent of 1d. Nothing more is heard of the Hansard family in connexion with Chaldon. Roger de Covert left a son and heir John, during whose minority Edmund Earl of Cornwall held the manor. In 1329 a suit was brought against Thomas de Covert by Margaret de Gedding, who apparently had a term of years in the manor of Chaldon. In 1350 Baldwin Covert son of Sir John died without male issue, and was succeeded by his uncle Richard, in whose family the manor continued until 1475, when William Covert of Sussex released all right in it to Thomas St. Leger, James St. Leger and others, apparently in trust for Anne widow of another James St. Leger, and at that date widow of John Ellingbridge, who presented to the church as widow of John Ellingbridge in 1476...
• Manorial Estate, 1494, Hascombe Manor, Godalming, Surrey, GU8, GB. 7 HASCOMBE was held of the joint lords of Bramley. Richard and John of Hascombe were tenants of Bramley in 1241-2, but Hascombe probably did not separate from Bramley till early in the next century. In 1306-7 Henry Hussey bought the reversion of the manor of Hascombe from Henry Sturmy, to whom it should have descended at the death of Joan wife of John of Wintershull, who had already obtained a release of other lands in Bramley and Hascombe. This Joan was probably the wife of Walter of Huntingfield, of whose grant the manor is said to have come to Henry Hussey in the inquisition of 1349.
In 1307 Henry Hussey obtained a grant of free warren in Danhurst and Hascombe. In 1331 he was succeeded by his son Henry, afterwards Sir Henry Hussey, kt., who died seised of Hascombe in 1349, his heir being his grandson Henry, son of his son Mark, aged six years. This Henry Hussey, or his cousin of the same name, died seised in 1409, and was succeeded by his son Henry, who held for life with remainder to his son Nicholas for life and reversion to Henry elder brother of Nicholas. Henry was outlawed and forfeited his rights in 1454. Nicholas was sheriff of Surrey and Sussex, victualler of Calais, and Lieutenant of Guisnes Castle under Henry VI. Edward IV seized Hascombe, alleging that Nicholas had refused to render account since the change of dynasty, but pardoned him in 1467. Nicholas Hussey left two daughters, Catherine wife of Reginald Bray, and Alice or Constance, wife of Henry Lovel. Probably the co-heiresses sold Hascombe to the Coverts, for William Covert died seised of it in 1494. His son John, who died in 1503, bequeathed his lands, failing his heirs male, to his cousin Richard Covert. Giles Covert was in possession of the manor in 1547, died in 1556, and was succeeded by his brother Richard...
• Manorial Estate, 1494, Imbhams Manor, Haslemere, Surrey, GU27 2EX, GB. 8 The manor of IMBHAMS (Imbeham xiii'96xv cents.; Imbhams and Embornes, xvi cent.) was parcel of Loseley Manor, held of the honour of Gloucester, but adjacent land bearing the same name was held of the Bishop of Salisbury's manor of Godalming.
In 1285 Eleanor widow of Robert de Dol, late lord of Loseley, had dower in Imbhams, and recovered land in Chiddingfold from various tenants including Alan of Imbhams. From her time the manor descended with Loseley to her son Robert, at whose death in March 1356'967 it was found that he held two holdings of the name. The one was held of the Earl of Gloucester, and the other of the Bishop of Salisbury for 18s. 8d. and suit of court at Godalming. The manor-house was in that part of Imbhams which was held of the earl. None of the arable land seems to have been profitable, since it lay in the Weald, and the pasture was of no value on account of the great size of the trees. Imbhams was not included in Robert de Dol's agreement with his daughter Joan de Bures, but was assigned immediately after his death to his heirs, the same Joan and John Norton.
Joan died in 1371, her heir being her son William Bures, who succeeded to the moiety of Loseley, including presumably a moiety of Imbhams, which she held in her own right. The other moiety, afterwards known as NORTH IMBHAMS, passed to John Norton, descended from her sister Margaret, who must have died almost immediately after her, for in 1375 he had been dead about four years, having been seised of a moiety of a piece of land called 'Imbeham,' held of the king in chief, owing to the vacancy of the see of Salisbury, but formerly held of the bishop at a rent of 6s. His heir John Norton was under age. This was parcel of the manor of Loseley. It was the portion in Haslemere, and by an unknown process passed to the Coverts. It did not pass first to the Sidneys, to whom the Norton moiety of Loseley proper came, for in the proceedings by which Humphrey Sidney established his claim to the inheritance in 1508, though land in Chiddingfold (which then of course included Haslemere) is mentioned, this land was held of the manor of Bramley. The Norton portion was already in the hands of William Covert of Slaugham and Harlcombe, who died in 1494. In 1504 his son John Covert died seised of the manor of Imbhams in Haslemere, Chiddingfold and Alfold, held of the Bishop of Salisbury. His heir was his cousin Richard, from whom it went to John's nephew Giles, who held at the time of the survey of Godalming made by Edward VI, and died in 1557, holding of the Crown, which then held the bishop's manor of Godalming...
• Inquisition: Post mortem, 10 Oct 1494. 2 1002 WILLIAM COVERT, esq.
Writ 10 Oct., inq. 20 Oct., 10 Hen. VII.
He died 20 Sept. in the year above said, seised of the under-mentioned manors in fee. John Covert, aged 22 and more, is his son and heir.
Manor of Wyssheley, worth 6l., held of James Urmond, Lord de Urmond, knt., service unknown.
Manor of Hascombe, worth 5l., held of Henry, Earl of Northumberland, service unknown.
C. Series II. Vol. 10. (38.)
E. Series II. File 1060 (2.)
1003 WILLIAM COVERT, esq.
Writ 10 Oct., inq. 28 Oct., 10 Hen. VII.
Findings as in No. 1002.
Manors of Slaugham and Twynham, worth 10 marks each, held of James Urmond, Lord de Urmond, knt., service unknown.
Manor of Polyng, worth 40s., held of Thomas, Earl of Arundell, by fealty and suit of the honor court of Arundell.
C. Series II. Vol. 10. (39.)
• Inquisition: Post mortem, 16 Oct 1494. 2 1034 WILLIAM COVERT, esq.
Writ 16 Oct., inq. 12 Nov., 10 Hen. VII.
He died 20 Sept. last seised of the under-mentioned manor and land in fee. John Covert, aged 22 and more, is his son and heir.
A third part of the manor of Sutton, worth 5 marks, held of the Prior of Prytwell, service unknown.
Divers lands and tenements in Maylond, held of the Abbot of St. Osyth, service unknown.
C. Series II. Vol. 10. (69.)
E. Series II. File 292. (8.)
William married Anne Fleming, daughter of Sir Thomas Fleming of Runwell, Essex and Unknown.1 (Anne Fleming died after 6 Aug 1503 9.)