Hugh Talemasche of Stoke Talmage & Hampnett 1 2
- Born: Bef 1109 2
- Marriage (1): Unknown
- Died: After 1150 2
Stoke Talmage, Oxfordshire:
The tenant in Stoke in 1086 was a certain Hugh from whom the Talemasch family probably descended. The first of the name to be recorded in Oxfordshire is Hugh Talemasch, perhaps a son of the Domesday Hugh, who occurs c. 1130-1150. He was evidently in the entourage of John de St. John: he was fined in 1130-1 for liberating a sum of money to him without the royal precept, and is found as a witness to the charters of his overlord, John de St.John. It was from him presumably that the village took its second name. He was the father of at least three sons, Peter his heir, Robert, and William, all of whom are found witnessing charters with him. He was also the lord of (?) Hampnett (Glos.) which he gave to the Benedictine Abbey of Gloucester when he became a monk there in his old age. His heir Peter (I) married Maud, the daughter of Aucher Chevaushesul of Tetsworth, and so succeeded to knight's fees in Tetsworth and Epwell, held of the Bishop of Lincoln. He continued the pious tradition of the family and gave before 1155, with the consent of his wife, mother, brothers, and sisters, over 2 hides at Stoke in free alms to Thame Abbey; he also gave10 acres to the parson of Stoke, and one of his sons became a lay brother of Thame. Peter was dead by 1181 and a son Richard was in possession. This Richard was one of four knights appointed by the county in 1199 to choose twelve to make a great assize in a dispute over land in Stoke; he married Avice, the daughter of Richard Taillard, one of his adherents, and they had a daughter and at least four sons, of whom one Ralph became a monk of Thame. Peter (II) Talemasch had succeeded his father by 1205, and a suit of 1207 reveals that he held 4 knight's fees in Stoke and Chilworth. In 1208-12 he was returned as one of the knights of the honor of St. Valery presumably for his Stoke fees, but he was granting away more of his demesne land in Stoke about this time and may have alienated most of his rights there soon after. The Talemasch grange at Stoke seems to have been disused by 1220 and replaced by the monastic grange. Other Oxfordshire land was certainly being alienated: a ½-fee in Finstock was granted to Eynsham in 1205; Fawler land was granted in 1220-2, and before1223 the Chilworth and Coombe estate was sold. Peter was followed by 1241 by his heir William, who figures in various suits over Stoke land in 1261, but the family's remaining rights were soon transferred. In the survey of 1279 there is no reference to any Talemasch overlordship over Thame's holding which had increased since about 1240 to 4½ hides.
From: 'Parishes: Stoke Talmage', A History of the County of Oxford: Volume 8: Lewknor and Pyrton hundreds (1964), pp. 198-210. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=63825 Date accessed: 26 April 2013.