Roger de Gunton 2
- Marriage (1): de Castre 1
• Manorial Estate: Gunton Manor, Gunton, Lowestoft, Norfolk, NR32, GB. 2 This town was granted to William Beaufoe Bishop of Thetford, by the Conqueror, and held in his own right as a lay fee. Agelmar, or Almar, Bishop of Elmham, bought it in the reign of the Confessor.
It consisted of 2 carucates of land, 8 villains, 6 bordarers, one carucate in demean, 2 among the tenants, 4 acres and an half of meadow, one mill, one beast for carriage, one cow, &c. and 7 socmen had half a carucate of land with one bordarer, a mill, and half an acre of meadow; and 2 carucates valued then at 20s. at the survey at 4l. per ann. was half a leuca long, 6 furlongs broad, and paid 6d. 3 farthings gelt; of the 2 carucates, William Denvers held one, and there was one besides his, valued at 12s. and accounted for in the Bishop's manor of Langham; Agelmer Bishop of Elmham, who purchased it, being deprived by a synod in 1070, and dying probably soon after, William Beaufoe obtained it of the Conqueror, and on his death gave it to his see. In 1122, Matthew de Gunton was lord of it; Sir Roger de Gunton and Thomas de Gunton, probably his sons, succeeded him, and each held a moiety or manor called Overhall, and Netherall, held of the Bishop.
Sir Roger de Gunton, son of Sir Roger, was father of Matthew de Gunton, (living in the 19th of Henry III.) and gave in marriage with his daughter to Roger Barr, 100s. rent here. Mathew de Gunton, son of Sir Roger, by deed, sans date, granted to William, son of William de Stalham, with Isabel his daughter, in free marriage, 100s. rent in Uurdestede, (Worstede) and Dalling, with several homages, services, customary dues, &c. to be held of him and his heirs, and if he cannot warrant it, to exchange it for lands in Gunton, or Martham manor; witnesses, Sir William de Kerdeston, Roger his son, Alexander de Vaux, Regind. le Gross, Simon de Noers, &c. His seal to it is about the size of a crown-piece, and is three lozengy-buckles, and made of rye dough, circumscribed, Sigillum Mathei de Gunton; and in 1323, Sir Roger de Gunton, as lord of a moiety, presented to this church, and John de Gunton in 1343 and 1349.
Sir Walter de Gunton, by Adelicia his wife, left a daughter and heir, Milecentia, who brought it by marriage to Sir Walter de Walcot, whose son, Sir Walter, marrying Joan, daughter and heir of William, 2d son of Sir William Clopton, left 4 daughters and coheirs; Margaret, the wife of Sir Robert Berney of Wichingham, relict of Roger de Welesham; Elizabeth, wife of Ralph Bray, or rather of William Wylton of Wichampton in Norfolk; Catherine, of John Dorward, Esq; and Margery, a nun, at Carhow abbey near Norwich. Joan, after the decease of her husband, Walcot, married Sir Roger Beauchamp; and on May 15, 1374, letters of administration of all the goods, &c. of Sir Roger Beauchamp, were granted to her.
Sir Robert Berney purchased by fine, in the 19th of Richard II. the part or share of Elizabeth, wife of William Wilton; and before this, John Dorward, and Catherine his wife, conveyed all their right to him in the 11th of the said King, and was found to hold half a fee of the Bishop of Norwich; in the 17th of Edward IV. John Berney, Esq. died seized of it, of Streto, and Cley Hall in Wichingham, Holbrook's in Seething, &c.
• Manorial Estate: Martham Manor, Martham, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, NR29, GB. 1 In the first of King John, there was a pleading between Walter de Basingham and the prior of Norwich, about lands here and in Hemesby, and the family of De Gunton, had a considerable interest.
Matthew de Gunton, granted by fine in the 8th of Henry III. to William, prior of Norwich, the advowson of the church of Martham; who received Matthew, and all his men, or tenants to be partioners in all the prayers of their convent; and in the following year, he also gave 9 acres of land here to master Adam de Wausingham, and his successors, in the church of St. Mary, of Martham, Adam paying to him 40s.
Roger de Gunton, probably son of Matthew, gave by deed sans date, to God and the church of the Holy Trinity of Norwich, a messuage here, and 12 acres of arable land adjoining, late Mr. Adam de Wausingham's, free from all services, for the life of Isabell de Castre his mother-in-law, and after her decease, to the priory, paying to him and his successors 2s. per ann.\emdash witnesses, Reyner de Burgo, William de Stalham, Knts. Robert de Mauteby, &c.
In the 15th of Edward I. the prior claimed wreck at sea, assise, free-warren, pillory, tumbrel, with the lete here and in Hemesby; and in the said year Roger de Bavent and Elizabeth his wife, claimed view of frank pledge in the manor here, with John de Methwold and Margaret his wife; Symon de Lynch, or Lincoln, and Catherine his wife; John de Crostweyt and Sibill his wife, held as parceners; their wives were daughters and coheirs, with Julian, (wife of Simon Peche,) to John de Gunton, who died about the 5th of Edward I.
Roger married de Castre, daughter of Unknown and Isabel.1