Adam de Throckmorton 2
- Marriage (1): Matilda de Derinstone 1
- Died: Bef 1246 2
Adam de Throkemertone (...), lord of Throckmorton, temp, of Hen. Ill, died before 1246, living 32 Hen. III. Married Matilda de Derinstone. She married, (second), before 1246, Richard le Waite.
There is a deed at Coughton whereby Adam, son of Robert de Throkemertone, grants to Nicholas, son of Robert, in marriage with Alice, sister of his (Adam's) wife, one-half a virgate in Throckmorton. For which gift Dame Felicia de Derinstone, mother of Alice, and John, her brother, give Adam 24s. Witness: William Roland, William Eye, William Jocelin, William de Mora, Walter (his brother), Simon (the Chamberlain), John de Bello Monte, Walter (his brother), Richard de Labussere, Robert de Puplintone.
The seal appended is a lion and wyvern rampant combatant, the lion being on the dexter side.
Adam de Throkemertone released to the Bishop Blois, in the reign of Henry III, his right in a pasture near his parcary or sheepfold at Throckmorton, for which the bishop gave him 5 marks of silver. Adam de Throckmorton without question inherited the lands of Henry de Throckmorton, his grandfather, in Throckmorton and Upton, for in addition to the deed quoted above, the Feet of Fines for Worcestershire, case 258, file 4, No. 14, shows in final agreement made at Westminister five weeks before Easter, 17 Henry III (1233), Adam de Throckmorton quer. Peter de Saute- mares deforc of one-third of a knight's fee and a half in Upton and Throckmorton except 5½ virgates 15 acres of land, whereof a plea was summoned between them, that is, Adam remits and quitclaims for himself and his heirs to the said Peter and his heirs all right and relief that he has in the said third part of 1½ knight's fee, and Peter grants to Adam and his heirs the homage and service of Nicholas, son of Robert, of all the tenement which Nicholas held of the said Peter in Throckmorton the day of the agreement. Peter gave Adam 100s sterling. Dorso. William de Bleys, Bishop of Worcester, by Nicholas, his chaplain, appended his claim to all that fee.
He was a surety for Osbert Marmion et als. in a suit against the prior of St. Peter's, Worcester, in 5 Henry III (1221), from Register No. 1 of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester, Worcester Historical Society.
In 5 Henry III, Richard Marmion, the son of Osbert Marmion, granted to the Prior of Worcester land in Winterton called Stocking, which he held of Adam de Throkemorton. Adam de Throkemorton confyrreth the grant to the Priory, reserving yearly a penny rent himself.1
Adam de Throkemorton had issue:
1. Robert de Throkemerton married Prudence de Compton.2
1 Survey of Worcestershire by Thos. Habington, Worcestershire Historical Society, p. 426
2 Prudence was the daughter of Robert de Compton; there is a deed at Coughton in which Robert, son of Peter de Compton, with the assent of Lucy his wife, grants to Simon, son of Robert de Throkemerton virgate, with a house (mansae) adjacent in the vill of Throkemerton, held by Walter Brun: witnesses: Simon le Chamberlencke, Robert Pipard, Stephen de Mora, Robert Alyen of Fladbury, Roger Wauter of More, Robert Kynchot, John le Swyn. In a second deed Robert de Compton grants to Simon, son of Robert de Throkemorton, 5s. rent in Throkemorton. Witness: Henry Huband, Simon le Chamberlencke, Robert Aleyn of Fladbury, Roger Wauter of More, Robert Ordrich of Moor, Nicholas Kynchot, John le Sweyn. 3
• Manorial Estate, 1232, Throckmorton Manor, Throckmorton, Pershore, Worcestershire, WR10, GB. 4 In a catalogue of the charters of the monastery of Worcester there is mentioned one by Wulfstan called the Archbishop, who was Bishop of Worcester from 1062 to 1095, relating to three mansae at THROCKMORTON (Throcmortune, xi cent.; Trokemardtune, xii cent.; Trockmerton, Trochmerton, xiii cent.; Throkmarton, xiv cent.), but the nature of this charter is not known. Throckmorton is not mentioned in the Domesday Survey, being then probably included in Fladbury, of which it was part until the 15th century. After 1415 the manor was held of the Bishops of Worcester at a fee-farm rent of £12.
Throckmorton gives its name to the family of Throckmorton, who were tenants of the Bishop of Worcester at an early date, Reoland Throckmorton appearing as a juror for the hundred of Oswaldslow in the middle of the 12th century. Raulyn, who held 2½ hides in Throckmorton about 1182, may have been a member of this family, possibly identical with Reoland. Adam de Throckmorton apparently owned land in Worcestershire in 1174\endash 5, and John and Joscelin de Throckmorton appear in 1175\endash 6 and 1176\endash 7, but it is not known that they held land in Throckmorton. Henry son of John de Throckmorton at the beginning of the 13th century obtained from Mauger Bishop of Worcester (1199\endash 1212) half a hide of land in Fladbury, and he is probably the Henry son of John who is mentioned in the Testa de Nevill as holding a virgate of land in Throckmorton.
Adam son of Robert, who also held at that time a virgate of land in Throckmorton, was possibly the Adam de Throckmorton who was dealing with a third of a fee in Upton and Throckmorton in 1232\endash 3. According to a pedigree of the family given by Nash, Adam died before 1248, and was succeeded by his son Robert, who was alive in 1252. Robert appears to have been succeeded before 1266 by a son Simon. Robert de Throckmorton, who obtained a dispensation from the Bishop of Worcester in 1275, was son of Simon. He was living in 1315\endash 16, and is perhaps identical with the Robert de Throckmorton who in 1333\endash 4 settled four messuages and land in Throckmorton upon his son John and Maud his wife, with remainder to his other children, Nicholas, Sybil, Alice and Joan. The manor of Throckmorton seems, however, to have passed to Robert's son Giles, for a messuage and 2 carucates of land in Throckmorton were settled in 1341\endash 2 upon Giles and his wife Agnes, and upon their sons Robert, John, Thomas and Richard in tail-male.
Thomas Throckmorton, who, according to the pedigree of the family given in the Visitation of Warwickshire, was a son of John Throckmorton, was of the retinue of Thomas Beauchamp Earl of Warwick in 1396, was escheator for the county of Worcester in 1402, and Constable of Elmley Castle in 1404\endash 5. He seems to have made a lease of the manor in 1410\endash 11, and was succeeded by his son Sir John Throckmorton, who was also of the retinue of the Earl of Warwick. In 1415 the Bishop of Worcester obtained licence to grant fourteen messuages and 2 carucates of land in Throckmorton to Sir John de Throckmorton, to be held of the bishop at a feefarm rent. This was probably the estate which the bishop had held in demesne in the 12th century. Habington evidently refers to this transaction when he says that John Carpenter, who succeeded as Bishop of Worcester in 1444, so much disliked the alienation of Throckmorton that he threatened to excommunicate the Prior and monks of Worcester on account of it, whereupon they sued to the Archbishop of Canterbury to send for Thomas son of John Throckmorton and command him to give satisfaction to the Bishop of Worcester. But 'thys lounge contention beeinge in the end utterly extinguished, thys good Bishopp entred into such a leauge of fryndshyp with Thomas Throckmorton as in Testimony of his charitye he enterteyned him to be Stuarde of all hys Castelles, Mannors etc. with a fee of 10 li. per annum.' In 1440 Sir John was styled chamberlain of the Exchequer and under-treasurer of England. He died in 1445, and was buried in the church of Fladbury, where there is an inscription to his memory. Sir John Throckmorton was succeeded by a son Thomas, who in 1467 obtained a general pardon for all offences committed by him before 23 June. He died in 1472,...
Adam married Matilda de Derinstone, daughter of de Derinstone and Felicia.1