William [II] de la Spine of Coughton, Warwickshire 1
- Marriage (1): Margery Durvassal 1
- Died: Bef 1 Nov 1316 1 2
Another name for William was William de Spineto.
In Ireland 1291-3, and in 1294 in Wales with the king for the war. (Chancery Warrants, 1294-1326, p. 47.)
In 26 Edw. I. (1300) he bought the de Bruley interest in Cocton from Sir Wm. Tuchet, knt., who had inherited them from the Bishop of Ely. (Coughton Records and Dugdale.) 3
• Manorial Estate, 1293-1316, Coughton Manor, Coughton, Alcester, Warwickshire, B49, GB. 1 William, the Domesday tenant of Coughton, has been identified with William Fitz Corbucion alias William de Studley and he is believed to have given his lands in Coughton to Ranulf brother of Walter Abbot of Evesham, which Ranulf already held Kinwarton and Weethley (q.v.) together with extensive lands in Worcestershire from the abbot. Ranulf is presumed to have died in about 1129 and to have left two sons, William son of Ranulf and Robert son of Ranulf, who at Michaelmas 1130 paid relief for lands in Warwickshire. Ranulf's lands, including Coughton, were evidently equally divided between his two sons, one being described as the knight of Coughton and the other as the knight of Kinwarton, who, with their descendants, shared equally the service of 2 knights due to the abbot of Evesham.
The service of ½ knight due to the Earl of Warwick from the 4 hides in Coughton appears, however, to have devolved upon the 2 hides held by the Kinwarton branch of the family (see below). Ranulf of Kinwarton had a son Robert who predeceased him, having settled ? of 2 hides in Coughton on his wife Joan. In 1199 Joan and her next husband Richard de Brusle leased this land to Ranulf, Joan's former father-in-law, for his life. Ranulf was presumably dead by 1214, when Alexander, another of his sons, was sued for breaking the terms of this fine. Alexander de Kinwarton about 1241 gave to the Abbot of Alcester a place to build a piggery in his wood of Coughton and also a load of firewood, weekly, from that same wood, but in 1242\endash 3 Simon de Bruly was holding ½ knight's fee in Coughton. Simon was living in 1261, but was dead in 1262, when Agnes his wife and Robert his son were holding land in Coughton. In 1268 Robert was returned as holding the ½ fee in Coughton. He was Regarder of Feckenham Forest in 1271. In 1289 his hedges at Coughton were broken and his crops were depastured by Roger de Spineto of Coughton, Richard de Verdon of Wyke, and 12 others, on land where they claimed, wrongfully, to have common of pasture. In 1292 Robert de Bruly is reported to be holding £20 a year in land in chief though still unknighted, but he must have died soon after, for about this time Simon son of Robert de Broylly sold his manor of Coughton with all his rights and liberties there to William of Louth, Bishop of Ely. After the bishop's death this manor passed to Sir William Touchet, who immediately, in September 1298, granted it, with all the property formerly of Simon Broyli, to William de Spineto, after which the two parts of the Coughton fee were reunited.
To return to the other half of the Coughton lands of Ranulf; it is thought that the descendants of William his son, the knight of Coughton, were Robert and William de Coctuna, who were living between 1151 and 1158, Robert dying without issue. William's sons were Ranulf and Simon, but the Coughton lands are thought to have descended to Ranulf, who was one of the knights of the Abbot of Evesham in 1166, and was living in 1184. His heir was apparently that Simon son of Ranulf de Cocton who was con temporary with Ranulf of Kinwarton (see above). Simon, who died at Alcester through falling off his horse when drunk, had been succeeded by 1220 by his son Simon, probably the same Simon who about 1241 gave to the monks of Alcester a place for a piggery and a load of firewood weekly in his wood of Coughton. Simon married Constance daughter of William de Parco before 1226, but was dead by 1274, when his widow is mentioned, and also their daughter Constance, who had married John son of Master John de Billesle. Simon and Constance had other daughters. One, whose name was Joan, is said to have been twice married: first to Hugh de Burleye, with whom she joined in 1257 in enfeoffing William de Spineto of a half virgate in Coughton, and subsequently to Hugh de Norfolk, who joined with her in 1274 in a further grant to William de Spyney (this time with Joan his wife) of land in Samborne and Coughton, together with the reversion of the third part thereof held by Constance widow of Simon de Cocton in dower.
Very shortly after this a dispute between William de Spineto and Joan and the Prior of Studley concerning tithes and some matter of violence was settled before the Bishop of Worcester in 1275 and some unspecified sentence upon them was released. Whether from the same sentence or not, the archdeacon was ordered to pronounce the absolution of William in 1279, and again in 1284, when the sheriff was told to release him from prison. This later trouble may have had a financial basis, as Roger the clerk, William's son, gave bond for repayment of a debt due to the executors of the late Archbishop of York, the bishop's brother. Probably in fulfilment of this bond Roger gave to the Bishop of Worcester 1 messuage and 3 carucates of land in Coughton. The bishop surrendered it to the king, who returned it to him, to hold of the chief lords of the see, and in October 1293 the bishop granted to William son of William de Spineto the manor of Coughton near Spernall. Subsequently, the Bruly manor of Coughton was acquired by William de Spineto in September 1298,* and in March 1299 he settled on himself and Margery his wife the manor of Coughton, with all its rights and property there and in Wike 'as well within the liberties of the Templars as without'.* In 1300 William 'of Spinney' was said to hold that part of the vill of Coughton with its wood and plain which was 'on the side of the river Arrow towards the west', and in 1315 he was holding Coughton as ½ knight's fee of Guy, Earl of Warwick. He died before the end of 1316, having enfeoffed William de Sutton of Warwick of the manor.* In 1318 the manor was settled on William Sutton and his wife Margery for their lives, with remainders to William son of William 'del Espine' and his issue, or Joan his sister, Alice her sister, or his right heirs, and William de Sutton is referred to as lord of Coughton in 1320. It is possible that William de Sutton had married the widowed Margery de Spineto and obtained the guardianship of her son and his estate. He heads the list for the Lay Subsidy in 1332 and was still lord of Coughton in September 1338,* though in June of that year William 'del Espinee', who had married one Alice at least twelve years before, was already called lord and in 1341 was holding his court there.* He must at one time have settled away the manor, as on 1 March 1354 Thomas Paynel of Berkshire released to Sir Thomas de Grendone his co-parcener, all his rights in the manor, with plough-land, tenants free and neif, rents, mills, dove-cotes, waters, fisheries, &c.* Sixteen years later Thomas de la Louwe, Ralph Biron, chaplain, and Richard de Aston conveyed the manor to William de Spineto and Alice his wife for life, all except the two mills which, with the reversion of the manor and a yearly rent of 13 marks till that should fall in, went to Guy their son and Katherine his wife.* In June 1398 Sir Guy Spyne was lord of Coughton,* but in 1411 he and Katherine made two enfeoffments to Edmund and Roger Lowe, in each case of half the manor. The couple had no son; their two daughters had married, Alice, William Tracy, and Eleanor, John son of Thomas Throckmorton of Fladbury, Worcs. Next year, in June 1412, Edmund and Roger settled the whole manor on Guy and Katherine for life, with remainder as to one moiety to John Throckmorton and Eleanor and their issue (reserving to Roger the ancient services due from the property called Verdounes), the other moiety to William Tracy and Alice and their issue.* In March 1430 the Prior of Studley leased to John and Eleanor extensive lands in Coughton, including Canneclose,* now Cane Close; most of this was quit claimed to them by the next prior three years later.* On 1 April 1438 John and Eleanor were admitted into the fellowship of the Abbey of Evesham. In May 1449 Eleanor, now a widow, and Thomas her son granted some of their property in Worcestershire to John Tracy, son of Alice, on condition that he left Thomas in undisturbed possession of both moieties of Coughton.* John Tracy enfeoffed Thomas Throckmorton in the Tracy half of the manor so that when Thomas died in July 1472 he held the whole manor of Coughton...
• Inquisition: Post mortem, 1 Nov 1316. 2 70. WILLIAM DEL SPYNEYE.
Writ, 1 November, 10 Edward II.
WARWICK. Inq. 12 June, 10 Edward II.
He held nothing of the heir of Guy de Bello Campo, late earl of Warwick, a minor and in the king's wardship, nor of any other lord in the county.
C. Edw. II. File 57. (12.)
William married Margery Durvassal, daughter of Thomas Durvassal of Spernore, Warwickshire and Margery.1