arrow arrow arrow
Thomas Throckmorton
(-Bef 1411)
Agnes Besford
(-After 1428)
Sir Guy Spyne of Coughton, Warwickshire
(-After 1426)
Katherine
(-After 1438)
Sir John Throckmorton of Fladbury, Worcestershire
(Abt 1382-1445)
Eleanor Spyne
(Abt 1380-1467)
Sir Thomas Throckmorton of Coughton, Warwickshire and Throckmorton, Worcestershire
(Abt 1412-1472)

 

Family Links

Spouses/Children:
1. Margaret Olney

Sir Thomas Throckmorton of Coughton, Warwickshire and Throckmorton, Worcestershire 1

  • Born: Abt 1412 1
  • Marriage (1): Margaret Olney about 1446 1
  • Died: 13 Jul 1472 aged about 60 1

  General Notes:

THROCKMORTON, THOMAS (1415-72); of Coughton, Warw., and Throckmorton, Worcs., esq. ; lawyer.

M.P. WORCESTERSHIRE 1445-6, 1449 (1). Lancastrian.

S. and h. of John Throckmorton of Throckmorton M.P. (1385-1445), by Eleanor (Spiney) of Coughton. M. c. 1446, Margaret, da. and h. of Robert Olney of Weston-Underwood, Bucks.

He was pardoned assaults made by him in the palace of Westminster, and of the trespass and contempt incurred by him there in beating and wounding John Berry, 16 July 1443. Pardoned 1446, as of Worcestershire, gent.; elector, Worcs., 1450; J.P. Worcs., of the quorum, 8 July 1458 to 1461, and 22 Mar. 1464 to 1465; J.P. Warw., 6 Aug. 1465 till death; sheriff, Warw. and Leics., 1465-6; on comns. of array 1448 to 1472, including the Lancastrian comns. of Dec. 1459 and 1460. With his mother Eleanor he founded a chanty at Fladbuy in May 1448, to pray for the soul of his father, John, and reciting that for his services to Heny IV and Heny V he was a Chamberlain of the Exchequer (1440-1445). He and his bro. John, were mainpernors for William Herbert of Raglan, the Yorkist, in 1457, when they were pardoned. Attorney General to the Prince of Wales, 20 Feb. 1457 ; and he was and had been steward of the bishopric of Worcester in 1459. Pardoned, Nov. 1459.1 In Mar. 1460 the Lancastrian Govt, ordered Walter Skulle and Throckmorton to hold Worcester against the Duke of York; but he obtained a pardon from the Yorkists on 29 July 1460. It will be seen that he lost his seat on the bench when the Yorkists came in, but returned to favour in 1464. He was apptd. receiver of the lordship of Glamorgan for the Earl of Warwick, Nov. 1464.2 He probably remained quietly Lancastrian, for he was a feoffee for John Hampden of Stourton (q.v.) in 1464. He received another pardon in June 1467, and again, after the Readeption, in Nov. 1471, where his name is spelt Frogmorton.

D. 13 July 1472, when Robert, aged 21, was his s. and h.

  Events

Manorial Estate, 1445-1472, Throckmorton Manor, Throckmorton, Pershore, Worcestershire, WR10, GB. 2 In a catalogue of the charters of the monastery of Worcester there is mentioned one by Wulfstan called the Archbishop, who was Bishop of Worcester from 1062 to 1095, relating to three mansae at THROCKMORTON (Throcmortune, xi cent.; Trokemardtune, xii cent.; Trockmerton, Trochmerton, xiii cent.; Throkmarton, xiv cent.), but the nature of this charter is not known. Throckmorton is not mentioned in the Domesday Survey, being then probably included in Fladbury, of which it was part until the 15th century. After 1415 the manor was held of the Bishops of Worcester at a fee-farm rent of 12.

Throckmorton gives its name to the family of Throckmorton, who were tenants of the Bishop of Worcester at an early date, Reoland Throckmorton appearing as a juror for the hundred of Oswaldslow in the middle of the 12th century. Raulyn, who held 2 hides in Throckmorton about 1182, may have been a member of this family, possibly identical with Reoland. Adam de Throckmorton apparently owned land in Worcestershire in 1174\endash 5, and John and Joscelin de Throckmorton appear in 1175\endash 6 and 1176\endash 7, but it is not known that they held land in Throckmorton. Henry son of John de Throckmorton at the beginning of the 13th century obtained from Mauger Bishop of Worcester (1199\endash 1212) half a hide of land in Fladbury, and he is probably the Henry son of John who is mentioned in the Testa de Nevill as holding a virgate of land in Throckmorton.

Adam son of Robert, who also held at that time a virgate of land in Throckmorton, was possibly the Adam de Throckmorton who was dealing with a third of a fee in Upton and Throckmorton in 1232\endash 3. According to a pedigree of the family given by Nash, Adam died before 1248, and was succeeded by his son Robert, who was alive in 1252. Robert appears to have been succeeded before 1266 by a son Simon. Robert de Throckmorton, who obtained a dispensation from the Bishop of Worcester in 1275, was son of Simon. He was living in 1315\endash 16, and is perhaps identical with the Robert de Throckmorton who in 1333\endash 4 settled four messuages and land in Throckmorton upon his son John and Maud his wife, with remainder to his other children, Nicholas, Sybil, Alice and Joan. The manor of Throckmorton seems, however, to have passed to Robert's son Giles, for a messuage and 2 carucates of land in Throckmorton were settled in 1341\endash 2 upon Giles and his wife Agnes, and upon their sons Robert, John, Thomas and Richard in tail-male.

Thomas Throckmorton, who, according to the pedigree of the family given in the Visitation of Warwickshire, was a son of John Throckmorton, was of the retinue of Thomas Beauchamp Earl of Warwick in 1396, was escheator for the county of Worcester in 1402, and Constable of Elmley Castle in 1404\endash 5. He seems to have made a lease of the manor in 1410\endash 11, and was succeeded by his son Sir John Throckmorton, who was also of the retinue of the Earl of Warwick. In 1415 the Bishop of Worcester obtained licence to grant fourteen messuages and 2 carucates of land in Throckmorton to Sir John de Throckmorton, to be held of the bishop at a feefarm rent. This was probably the estate which the bishop had held in demesne in the 12th century. Habington evidently refers to this transaction when he says that John Carpenter, who succeeded as Bishop of Worcester in 1444, so much disliked the alienation of Throckmorton that he threatened to excommunicate the Prior and monks of Worcester on account of it, whereupon they sued to the Archbishop of Canterbury to send for Thomas son of John Throckmorton and command him to give satisfaction to the Bishop of Worcester. But 'thys lounge contention beeinge in the end utterly extinguished, thys good Bishopp entred into such a leauge of fryndshyp with Thomas Throckmorton as in Testimony of his charitye he enterteyned him to be Stuarde of all hys Castelles, Mannors etc. with a fee of 10 li. per annum.' In 1440 Sir John was styled chamberlain of the Exchequer and under-treasurer of England. He died in 1445, and was buried in the church of Fladbury, where there is an inscription to his memory. Sir John Throckmorton was succeeded by a son Thomas, who in 1467 obtained a general pardon for all offences committed by him before 23 June. He died in 1472,...

Manorial Estate, 1472, Coughton Manor, Coughton, Alcester, Warwickshire, B49, GB. 3 ...Simon and Constance had other daughters. One, whose name was Joan, is said to have been twice married: first to Hugh de Burleye, with whom she joined in 1257 in enfeoffing William de Spineto of a half virgate in Coughton, and subsequently to Hugh de Norfolk, who joined with her in 1274 in a further grant to William de Spyney (this time with Joan his wife) of land in Samborne and Coughton, together with the reversion of the third part thereof held by Constance widow of Simon de Cocton in dower.

Very shortly after this a dispute between William de Spineto and Joan and the Prior of Studley concerning tithes and some matter of violence was settled before the Bishop of Worcester in 1275 and some unspecified sentence upon them was released. Whether from the same sentence or not, the archdeacon was ordered to pronounce the absolution of William in 1279, and again in 1284, when the sheriff was told to release him from prison. This later trouble may have had a financial basis, as Roger the clerk, William's son, gave bond for repayment of a debt due to the executors of the late Archbishop of York, the bishop's brother. Probably in fulfilment of this bond Roger gave to the Bishop of Worcester 1 messuage and 3 carucates of land in Coughton. The bishop surrendered it to the king, who returned it to him, to hold of the chief lords of the see, and in October 1293 the bishop granted to William son of William de Spineto the manor of Coughton near Spernall. Subsequently, the Bruly manor of Coughton was acquired by William de Spineto in September 1298,* and in March 1299 he settled on himself and Margery his wife the manor of Coughton, with all its rights and property there and in Wike 'as well within the liberties of the Templars as without'.* In 1300 William 'of Spinney' was said to hold that part of the vill of Coughton with its wood and plain which was 'on the side of the river Arrow towards the west', and in 1315 he was holding Coughton as knight's fee of Guy, Earl of Warwick. He died before the end of 1316, having enfeoffed William de Sutton of Warwick of the manor.* In 1318 the manor was settled on William Sutton and his wife Margery for their lives, with remainders to William son of William 'del Espine' and his issue, or Joan his sister, Alice her sister, or his right heirs, and William de Sutton is referred to as lord of Coughton in 1320. It is possible that William de Sutton had married the widowed Margery de Spineto and obtained the guardianship of her son and his estate. He heads the list for the Lay Subsidy in 1332 and was still lord of Coughton in September 1338,* though in June of that year William 'del Espinee', who had married one Alice at least twelve years before, was already called lord and in 1341 was holding his court there.* He must at one time have settled away the manor, as on 1 March 1354 Thomas Paynel of Berkshire released to Sir Thomas de Grendone his co-parcener, all his rights in the manor, with plough-land, tenants free and neif, rents, mills, dove-cotes, waters, fisheries, &c.* Sixteen years later Thomas de la Louwe, Ralph Biron, chaplain, and Richard de Aston conveyed the manor to William de Spineto and Alice his wife for life, all except the two mills which, with the reversion of the manor and a yearly rent of 13 marks till that should fall in, went to Guy their son and Katherine his wife.* In June 1398 Sir Guy Spyne was lord of Coughton,* but in 1411 he and Katherine made two enfeoffments to Edmund and Roger Lowe, in each case of half the manor. The couple had no son; their two daughters had married, Alice, William Tracy, and Eleanor, John son of Thomas Throckmorton of Fladbury, Worcs. Next year, in June 1412, Edmund and Roger settled the whole manor on Guy and Katherine for life, with remainder as to one moiety to John Throckmorton and Eleanor and their issue (reserving to Roger the ancient services due from the property called Verdounes), the other moiety to William Tracy and Alice and their issue.* In March 1430 the Prior of Studley leased to John and Eleanor extensive lands in Coughton, including Canneclose,* now Cane Close; most of this was quit claimed to them by the next prior three years later.* On 1 April 1438 John and Eleanor were admitted into the fellowship of the Abbey of Evesham. In May 1449 Eleanor, now a widow, and Thomas her son granted some of their property in Worcestershire to John Tracy, son of Alice, on condition that he left Thomas in undisturbed possession of both moieties of Coughton.* John Tracy enfeoffed Thomas Throckmorton in the Tracy half of the manor so that when Thomas died in July 1472 he held the whole manor of Coughton...


Thomas married Margaret Olney about 1446.1


Sources


1 C. Wickliffe Throckmorton, <i>textsA genealogical and historical account of the Throckmorton family in England and the United States, with brief notes on some of the allied families </i> (Richmond, VA, US: Old Dominion Press, Inc., 1930), 47.

2 Victoria County History, editor, <i></i>, 4 (London: Victoria County History, 1913), 3: 352-364.

3 Victoria County History of Warwickshire, Vol. 3 pp 74-86.

Buist-Taylor-Keatch-Kendall family history website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License

Contact      Site Map

Design your own website - Click here