arrow arrow
Arnold [III] de Bois
Henry de Tubney
(-After 1225)
Joan
Arnold [IV] de Bois
(-1277)
Alice de Tubney
William de Bois
(-After 1300)

 

Family Links

William de Bois

  • Died: After 1300

  Events

Manorial Estate: Tubney Manor, Abingdon, Oxfordshire, OX13, GB. 1 TUBNEY seems to have been included in the lands of Marcham (q.v.) granted in 965 by King Edgar to Abingdon Abbey; in 1086 Rainbald held Tubney of that house, its Saxon tenants having been Norman and Aluric, and the overlordship remained in the abbey's possession.

Rainbald, the under-tenant in 1086, was son-in-law of Abbot Reynold and made one of his own sons, Adelelm, a monk at Abingdon. He incurred the ill-will of William II, who fined him 50. The Abbot of Abingdon and others became Rainbald's sureties and on Rainbald flying the country the abbot seized his lands in order to meet the payment. Rainbald, however, returned and recovered his demesnes. John de Tubney, who held a knight's fee of Abingdon Abbey in 1166, and Richard his son are mentioned during the reign of Henry II. Henry de Tubney occurs with Joan his wife in 1198-9 ; he may be identical with the Henry de Tubney who was living in 1224-5 and early in the reign of Henry III held a knight's fee of Abingdon Abbey in Tubney, Frilford and Uffington.

Henry de Tubney left a daughter and heir Alice who married Arnold de Bois, a member of a Warwickshire family. Arnold de Bois died seised in 1277, leaving a son and heir John, who, dying childless, was succeeded by his brother Master William de Bois. He in February 1295-6 received licence to settle a moiety of the manor on himself for life with remainder to his niece Maud and her husband William la Zouche, their issue, and the heirs of Maud. They must have enfeoffed the Corbets of Hadley in Shropshire for in 1316 Roger Corbet was lord.

Manorial Estate, 1295, Houghton Grimbald Manor, Northampton, Northamptonshire, NN7, GB. HOUGHTON GRIMBALD. Maud married Robert Grimbald, and he (or his father) was called Grimbald de Houghton in about 1155. Robert, like his father, was sewer of the Earl of Northampton and sheriff before 1155. He, with the consent of Maud, gave to St. Andrew's, Northampton, a moiety of the church of Little Houghton before 1168, the probable date of his death being about 1161. Maud, with the consent of her son and heir Simon, confirmed the gift to the priory. By 1176 she had married her second husband Richard del Peak who then joined her in granting to St. Mary 'de Voto' near Cherbourg all their land at Arville at a rent payable at Houghton. Simon de Houghton and William Grimbald, the son of her first husband and afterwards called by Maud her heir, were witnesses. By her second husband (who died in 1196) Maud had apparently an only child Isabel, who married Hugh de Waterville. In one charter, before 1166, Maud says 'with the consent of Simon my heir and of my other heirs', which suggests the division of her inheritance between her sons Simon and William. Simon evidently died without issue and William received Little Houghton. Their mother is last mentioned in 1201 when Anketil le Lou (Lupus) sued her and her sister's husband for 6 virgates of land here.

[...]

Arnold de Bois II, who maried Emma younger daughter of Payn de Houghton, belonged to a family connected with Bois-Arnault in France and Thorpe Arnold in Leicestershire. At the request of Emma he gave, with his body, half Little Houghton Church to his father's foundation of Biddlesden Abbey, Bucks., with land in Great Houghton, and, before 1166, their part in Little Houghton mill. His son Arnold III was with the rebels in 1216 but returned to great favour. Arnold de Bois IV died seised of the manor of Brafield in 1277, leaving a son and heir John (younger brother of another Arnold), who held the one knight's fee of William Grimbald in Little Houghton and Brafield in 1284. He died in 1295 and his brother and heir William in 1300 enfeoffed Milicent de Monhaut of a moiety of these manors for Milicent to grant them to himself for life with remainder to Maud daughter of his sister Isabel by John, Lord Lovel, and her husband William la Zouche of Harringworth, Milicent's son. These two moieties henceforth descend with Harringworth (q.v.). By 1376 the Zouche family alone was returned for the two vills.


Sources


1 Victoria County History of Berkshire, Vol. 4, pp 379-380.

Buist-Taylor-Keatch-Kendall family history website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License

Contact      Site Map

Design your own website - Click here